A TU Dance Project | Choreography by Marcus Jarrell Willis
TU Dance is looking to engage male/male identified dance artists for live presentations and a film creation project this Spring with performances at The O’Shaughnessy in St. Paul, Minnesota on May 13 & 14, 2022. Choreographer Marcus Jarrell Willis will be working with a group of dancers for a 9-week rehearsal process to reimagine and expand upon his work Sensible Existence, which was originally created for the TU Dance Company in 2017. This experience will culminate in two live performances as well as the creation of a dance-for-film project that will be shared throughout the State of Minnesota and beyond. Learn more about Marcus Jarrell Willis here.
For this project, we are currently seeking:
- Male/male identified dance artists with a vast range of technical versatility and strong partnering skills. A keen sense of rhythm and articulation of gestural language are essential.
- Seasoned professionals to emerging dance artists are encouraged to audition.
- Dancers that are currently authorized to work in the U.S.
*All are welcome to apply. We have a strong interest in cultivating a culturally diverse group of dance artists for this project and creating a cast that represents our diverse world.
- 9 week rehearsal process at TU Dance Center, St. Paul, Minnesota: March 14- May 14, 2022 (9:30am-4:15pm CST Monday- Friday)
- Tech Week: May 9-14 (will include additional afternoon/evening rehearsals)
- Performances: Friday, May 13 + Saturday, May 14 at The O’Shaughnessy, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Dancers will be compensated $600/week and hired as independent contractors
- Airfare, housing, per diem and local transportation are not provided
- IMPORTANT: due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, all project participants will need to show proof of vaccination and masks must be worn at all times inside of TU Dance Center.
VIRTUAL AUDITION DETAILS:
Please submit the following materials by Friday, January 28 to email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover Letter: summarize your experience and its relevance for this project and answer the following 2 questions: What is something that you are currently exploring within your artistic practice?; What do you hope to gain from this process?
- Video Reel: 3 minute maximum; clear footage that shows the entire body; performance or studio footage that features some sort of repertory work (no improvisation); no class footage
Photo by Stéphane Chouan
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and culture heritage fund.