AUDITION: The 3-Women Project by TU Dance
Featuring choreographers Stefanie Batten Bland, Yusha-Marie Sorzano and Alanna Morris.
TU Dance seeks dance artists for The 3-Women Project featuring choreographic works from a group of three internationally renowned black female artists who will each work individually within their own creative processes while simultaneously seeking to explore and discover synergistic and unifying themes throughout the process. The project will incorporate educational opportunities and culminate in live, in-person performances in May, 2023 at The O’Shaughnessy in St. Paul, Minnesota. Through this 11-week creative process, TU Dance seeks to create artistic space for these three dynamic and award-winning dance artists to share their distinctly strong voices in choreographic work and their deep investment and investigations into their own artistic practice and identity as black women. TU Dance looks forward to engaging with local and national dance artists and our community to share and celebrate the perspectives of these three women through this exciting and ambitious project.
*We have a strong interest in cultivating a culturally diverse group of dance artists for this project and creating a cast that represents our diverse world. Seasoned professionals to emerging dance artists with a minimum of 5 years of professional dance experience are encouraged to apply.
Stephanie Batten Bland, self-identified as American of African and European heritage, is the founder of SBB Company and a Jerome Robbins Awardee whose choreography is in active repertory at American Ballet Theatre, Alvin Ailey II, and Frontier Danceland in Singapore. Her work has recently been commissioned by Baryshnikov Arts Center and Duke Performances and American Ballet Theatre’s inaugural Women’s Movement Initiative, among others. More about Stefanie here.
Alanna Morris, self-identified as Afro Caribbean American, is a 2022 Springboard Danse Montréal Fellow, 2021 McKnight Choreographers Fellow, 2019 City Pages Artist of the Year/Best Choreographer, and one of Dance Magazine’s 2018 “25 to Watch.” Formerly a TU Dance company member, her choreography has been commissioned by TU Dance for the inaugural performance of CULTIVATE, A Trainee Program, Springboard Dance Montréal, Minnesota Dance Theatre, Penumbra Theatre, Children’s Theatre Company, and others. More about Alanna here.
Yusha-Marie Sorzano, self-identified as Afro Caribbean American, is a current member of Camille A. Brown & Dancers, BFA Director at CalArts School of Dance and founding co-artistic director of Zeitgeist Dance Theatre who has also appeared with TU Dance as a featured dancer several times. Her choreography has been commissioned by Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ballet Idaho, Santa Barbara Dance Theater, and elsewhere. More about Yusha here.
- 11 week rehearsal process: February 27- May 13, 2023
- Daily Schedule: 9:30am-4:15pm CST Monday- Friday
- Includes morning classes
- Please note that some rehearsals may be scheduled outside of these hours and in these cases, advanced notice will be given.
- In-Studio Showings: One or more In-Studio Showings may be scheduled during evening hours – advanced notice will be given.
- Tech Week: May 8-13, 2023
- Please hold evening and weekend hours during tech week. Tech schedule will be sent with as much notice as possible.
- Performances: Friday, May 12 and Saturday, May 13 at The O’Shaughnessy, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Dancers will be compensated $650/week and hired as employees.
- A limited amount is available for airfare and housing – please inquire if you are a national dance artist interested in the project.
- Please email Maxine Yamazaki, Audition Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to receive the vimeo link to The 3-Women Project Video Audition Phrases and film yourself doing these phrases along with submitting ALL audition materials (see details below). Deadline extended to December 3 for all video only submissions, including dancers outside of Minnesota or local dance artists not able to attend the live audition.
- For dancers residing in Minnesota: you will receive an email response by November 28 with an update about participating in the live audition.
- Live audition date: Saturday, December 3, 4:30-8:30pm
- Location: TU Dance Center: 2121 University Ave, St. Paul, MN 55114
- Following the live audition, you will be notified by December 16 with an update on casting for the project.
- Live audition date: Saturday, December 3, 4:30-8:30pm
- For dancers outside of Minnesota: You will receive an email notification by December 16 with an update on casting for the project.
- Please note that all dancers must be currently authorized to work in the U.S.
- There is no fee to audition.
MATERIALS TO SUBMIT (deadline extended to December 3 for video only submissions)
- Video responding to The 3 Women Project Video Audition Phrases (please email email@example.com to receive the vimeo link)
- Cover Letter (written or video submissions are welcomed)
- Summarize your experience and its relevance for this project
- Please also include reflections/responses to the following two questions:
- What is something that you are currently exploring within your artistic practice?
- What do you hope to gain from this process?
- Video Reel
- 3 minute maximum
- Clear footage that shows the entire body
- Performance or studio footage (must include some repertory work and improvisation)
- No class footage please
Thank you for your interest in The 3-Women Project by TU Dance
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
Photo (left to right): Yusha-Marie Sorzano by Eric Politzer, Alanna Morris by Canaan Mattson and Stephanie Batten Bland by Christaan Felber.