Unlock the Art of Self-Expression through Movement, Sound and Memory.
Embark on a profound 8-week journey of self-discovery and creative expression with Tamiko French’s innovative dance fusion class. In this transformative course, you’ll delve deep into the realm of movement, sound, memories and words to illuminate the vibrant landscape within you.
Tuesdays, October 10th – November 281th (8 weeks) | 9:30-11:00am
(informal showing on last day from 11:30am-12:30pm)
Cost: $45 per workshop* (Pre-registration required)
*TU Dance offers tuition and transportation subsidy upon request. Please contact us at email@example.com or (651) 724-9708 to inquire.
Please read the TU Dance Community Safety Statement.
Week 1: The Foundation Is You
- Dive into introspective discussions about your identity, values, and sources of joy.
- Immerse yourself in a soothing sound bath and capture your thoughts, emotions, and memories on paper.
- Begin weaving the threads of self-discovery into the foundation of your unique expression.
Week 2: More or Less Me
- Explore the intensity of your being and refine it to its purest essence.
- Discover the flow that uniquely defines you, celebrating the beauty of individuality.
Week 3: Rolling In The Deep
- Dive further into your journey as we explore our profound connection to water through movement and sound.
Week 4: Tapestries
- Layer your experiences like waves, creating a rich tapestry of memories, words, movement, and sound.
- Expand upon the foundation to craft a masterpiece of self-expression.
Week 5: Traveling
- We will work through each sequence traveling through our unique journey of sound, memory, and writing through movement. Remembering that you are the foundation, you are more or less you in perfect proportion, you are in perfect flow, and your flow has created a beautiful tapestry of life.
Week 6: Solid and Liquid
- Refine your movement sequences, words, and memories with intention and clarity.
- Embrace both your unwavering strengths and fluid adaptability.
Week 7: Wings
- Deepening our connection to our work this week we will let it go, let it fly, and love our journey. Remembering each week we built on our collective energy. Practice, explore, embrace and share what we have created.
Week 8: Golden
- Revel in a final class where you’ll practice and showcase your unique tapestry of work to friends and family.
- Embrace the golden culmination of your transformative journey.
Throughout this profound process, we invite you to expand, express, and reconnect with the incredible power and value of your life’s tapestry. Rediscover the beauty of vulnerability and the boundless potential within you. Join us on this extraordinary voyage of self-expression and self-discovery.
This program is for adults 55+.
TAMIKO FRENCH is a seasoned dance and performance art instructor with more than 20 years of experience in various fast-paced Dance Education environments. Throughout her time back here in her hometown (2013 to the present), she has built partnerships and curated experiences between the student community and arts organizations such as the Ordway Center for Performing Arts, Northrop Auditorium, The Cowles Center, Walker Arts Center, The Guthrie Theater, Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minnesota State Fair, The Festival of Nations, Springboard for the Arts and the Broadway Business Coalition. Sharing with the youth, pathways to careers through arts education and performance; Tamiko creates a safe place and platform for students to advocate for themselves, innovate new ways of learning and empower their voice of expression. She has been working with North High School’s Dance Program and Arts Integration for the last 6 years and has used these partnerships to develop continuous pathways to demonstrate the youth’s artistic excellence in the community. She is now clearing a path for her solo interdisciplinary work to emerge again.
Seeded through her time as an arts educator at North High, she has worked with Energy Dance Collective in 2013 to 2016 (hip hop compilation, SKYN), Northside Flow( Night of the mind)2015-2017, She performed in Sista Solo/Being Brothas (Night of the Mind)2015 and curated groups of performers for the Festival of Nations(African American Cultural Group)2015-2019, Minneapolis Institute of Art (Family Day and Prince Tribute)2018. She was awarded a Director slot in the American High School Theater Festival’s set in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival for 2020. It was then she took a leap of faith in creating Legacy Arts Group, LLC to help carve the path of the original work who co- wrote and directed with the Cast. Due to the pandemic, the tour is extended to 2022. This project has been supported by the Springboard for the Arts, the Awesome Foundation, the Minneapolis Foundation, the Minnesota Arts Coalition, West Broadway Area Business Coalition, the Minnesota Orchestra, MN, Black Theater Circle, and the Guthrie Theater. Tamiko synergizes text, props, recorded and physically played music, fashion, and dance to build a rooted expression of connectedness, and reflection of the human condition.
Her passion is rooted in illuminating the human condition, and using it as a way to bridge healing, self-discovery, and empowerment with every person she has the honor to share and work with. Currently, she is working on an interdisciplinary work called “Eye See You”. It is comprised of sound bathing (Tamiko is playing), vocalization (poetry, song, Monologue), and movement inside an environment created by crystals and light that depicts Amethyst. The core of this work shares the trusting of intuition through peaks and valleys of life lessons in aging, learned relationships and untangling mental attachments to traumas. It shares vibrational wellness practices in sound and crystal healing as well as meditation. July 2021 She will release part 1 of the 3 part work in her show “Rock Royalty”.
Photo by Tamiko French.